Thursday, February 5, 2009

What was really going on...

After closely reading "The Yellow Wallpaper," we discovered that the narrator is suffering from postpartum depression and that "the rest cure" has been prescribed in an attempt for her to recover. With our medical knowledge much more developed than in 1892, we can understand and properly treat this condition of new mothers. On the Mayo Clinic's website, it goes over the various types of depression which women can experience- from the baby blues to postpartum pyschosis. After going over the symptoms, I was able to trace the progression of the narrator's depression.
From postpartum depression--

Feelings of guilt, shame or inadequacy:
"It does weigh on me so not to do my duty in any way!"
"...here I am a comparative burden already!"

Difficulty bonding with baby:

"Such a dear baby! And yet I cannot be with him, it makes me so nervous."


to postpartum psychosis--
Hallucinations and delusions:"The front pattern does move-- and no wonder! The woman behind shakes it!"
"I think that woman gets out in the daytime!"

Paranoia:
"I always lock the door when I creep by daylight. I can't do it at night, for I know John would suspect something at once."
"I don't want anybody to get that woman out at night but myself."


I was surprised to find that the treatment of the milder version of this type of depression (known as baby blues) is actually rest- which is the treatment prescribed to our poor narrator. If the severity increases, counseling, antidepressants and hormone therapy are suggested. Obviously, these weren't available near the turn of the century. What do you think might have helped the narrator? Instead of resting, what should have been the best medecine to help her recover?

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, I really liked how you did further research on postpartum depression and were able to pick up specific quotes from the book to support her diagnosis. As for a medicine that could have helped her, I feel that if she had someone who was going through the same thing acting as support, her recovery process may have been much easier. Generally speaking, it is easier to overcome a problem when you are being supported by others in a similar predicament. Maybe in writing this, Gilman could reach out to others and act as their support.

    ReplyDelete