Thursday, March 26, 2009

Brutal Honesty

In reading the first part of Lucy, I was intrigued by her naivete and her bluntness, in both thoughts and actions. Though the old adage says "The truth shall set you free," in some cases, it doesn't need to be quite as harsh as Lucy reacts to her new 'family' in the city. One scene that struck me was the daffodil scene when Mariah takes Lucy to her favorite spot in the spring. Though Lucy is taken aback by the sight before her, when she hears the flowers are daffodils, she is disgusted and offended that Mariah would even think to bring her there. Her frustration stems from her feelings over the poem she had to memorize about the flowers when she was younger. I'm not sure how I would react to that kind of situation, but with my generally optimistic attitude, I would venture a guess that I would not have acted like Lucy. What do you think? Was she justified in her anger? Or was she overreacting? Do you feel it might have reminded her of her past and upset her because she was feeling homesick?

No comments:

Post a Comment