Thursday, April 2, 2009

What's in a name?

The main character in the novel Lucy was given the name "Lucy Josephine Potter." For each part, she had some kind of explanation- Josephine was for a rich uncle who ended up penniless, Potter most likely had its roots in an English family who once owned her ancestors as slaves and Lucy had a very special origin. As Lucy retells the story, she claims that her mother said, "I named you after Satan himself. Lucy, short for Lucifer. What a botheration from the moment you were conceived." (page 152)

I find that explanation interesting, heartbreaking and a bit ironic. The name "Lucy" is of Latin origin and means "light," something which is the exact opposite of the images evoked at the mention of Satan. Saint Lucy is the patroness of sight. I think the character Lucy was properly named- through her coming of age throughout the novel, she sheds light upon many things: her desire for independence, the truth about Mariah, Lewis, Peggy and Paul. She is able to see things clearly as they are, without trying to disguise the truth.

Interested in what your name means? Go to www.name-meanings.com to find out!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your analysis of Lucy's name. I hadn't realized that the Latin origin of Lucy means "light." Also, thanks for the link! I just "translated" my name (Samantha Noel Wieczorek--didn't translate my last name of course) and found out that I am a "listener of God born on Christmas Day." Interesting...I was definitely born in April...my mom just has this love of Christmas. What does your full name translate to? Do you think it "fits" you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam,
    My name (Kelly Ann) translates to "graceful warrior." I would like to think it fits me. I'm definitely a warrior, especially for those who can't defend themselves. I have my graceful moments, but I'm very clumsy, so it doesn't fit perfectly. I'm glad the link helped!

    ReplyDelete